Zhejiang University is seeking candidates and nominations for the position of Dean of Zhejiang University-University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Joint Institute (ZJUI). ZJUI builds on the strengths of its world leading partners and emphasizes cross-disciplinary studies and teaching in engineering and science. Research themes address broad programs in engineering sciences for human health, engineering sciences for advanced manufacturing and materials, and engineering sciences for energy, environment, and sustainable development.
ZJUI is situated on the Zhejiang University International Campus in Haining, Zhejiang Province, China, about 120km southwest of Shanghai and 60km east of Hangzhou. The Institute is a major pillar of the internationalization strategy of Zhejiang University.
ZJUI seeks a visionary scientist and educator able to lead the Institute into the future, following its first five years of initiation and growth. The Dean (linked to ZJU), in collaboration with the Executive Dean (linked to UIUC), serves as the chief officer of the Institute. The Dean will help define and implement ZJUI’s ambition to build a world leading educational and research partnership in engineering, connecting scientific endeavor to society through teaching, basic and translational research, and entrepreneurship. This is a unique opportunity for an innovative leader and accomplished scientist to join and lead one of the top international education and research joint institutes in China.
1. An earned doctorate in an engineering or scientific discipline, with at least ten years of progressive experience that includes academic leadership.
2. An established strong record of impact and leadership in education and research, in a field of interest to ZJUI. In addition to publications and other direct evidence, experience in entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary endeavors is important.
3. A demonstrated ability to manage a complex research and teaching program.
4. A clear student-oriented dedication to excellence.
5. A strong record of international collaboration.
6. A record of strong integrity and commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural sensitivity.
7. Meets all qualifications for the rank of Professor at Zhejiang University.
8. Fluency in both English (the working language at ZJUI) and Mandarin. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
1. Fully established as a renowned researcher and educator.
2. Established as a classroom and curriculum innovator.
3. Experience at a “Research I” U.S. academic institution.
4. Demonstrated dedication to professional and public service linked to areas of interest to ZJUI.
5. Administrative experience at the level of academic department head or higher, or equivalent.
6. Knowledge of the ABET accreditation process for engineering disciplines.
Characteristics of a Strong Candidate
1. Supports the values of Zhejiang University and the partnership with University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, including international collaboration and global education.
2. Able to make a compelling case to scientific, research, and education leaders for support and global outreach of ZJUI.
3. Able to generate enthusiasm among students, parents, faculty, staff, and other direct stakeholders of ZJUI.
4. Able to lead the team to enhance and implement the strategic vision of ZJUI, to strengthen this prestigious Institute and lead it in its core mission to develop a model international education and research partnership.
5. Able to understand and communicate the importance of novel approaches for the development of engineering education and research.
6. Has deep understanding of national and regional development strategies linked to ZJUI, particularly the “Double First-Class Initiative” and the Integrated Development of Yangtze River Delta program.
Salary, Reporting, and Benefits
Salary commensurate with education and experience. The successful candidate will hold titles of Dean of the Zhejiang University-University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Institute, Professor in a cooperating department of Zhejiang University, and Adjunct Professor in a cooperating department of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The Dean reports to the Joint Management Committee of ZJUI. The position is eligible for the comprehensive benefit package of Zhejiang University.
How to Apply
To receive full consideration, please submit an application by November 15, 2020. Nominations are welcome immediately, and nominators should make contact by October 30, 2020, to allow time for a timely application. Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of research accomplishments and plans, and a statement of teaching accomplishments and plans, as well as a minimum of three persons willing to serve as references to:
Tel: +86-571-88981345 18258283979
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging
Zhejiang University is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to our mission to “Empower future international leaders and citizens with skills, passion, ambition, resourcefulness, and knowledge (SPARK) to enable them to change their world.”